The Waiting List - by Suguna
**********************************
Published on behalf of Suguna
*********************************************************
The Waiting List :

The week was very hectic and I was tied up with many things. Among the list of activities one of the most important work was of checking my passenger name record undersized as PNR number religiously and never did it change even by one digit in my favor. When I booked my ticket to Hyderabad from Bangalore the number was waitlist 67 still I went ahead and booked the ticket hoping to get a tatkal ticket which is issued 5 days to the actual travel date. Unfortunately I could not get tatkal, however I did not lose hope and checked out other means like private buses, private tours and travel agents who sell out tickets like gold during holiday season especially when whole of the country celebrates a festival like Diwali, I am not lucky told to myself.

Tension started mounting as the date of travel was nearing but no signs of change in the waitlist number. But suddenly things started looking better my PNR status suddenly changed to 57 from 67 and I was all proud and patted myself “wow that’s great!” and I started building hopes. The work was important I had to do some research to create some slides and at the other side all that was ringing at the back of my mind was check PNR now I started checking three times a day. Three days to travel the number dropped down to 32, 29 finally.

I called up most trusted guide my dad and told him that I feel very positive though the ticket is still with wait list 29 I think I will get a berth. He then asked me if I was carrying the news paper with me, his addiction for news paper probably had swept me as well I thought for a moment then I asked I have read in the morning I wont be carrying it but was still not sure what he meant. Then with his witty humor he said ‘ u might need it to spread to sit incase u don’t get a berth to night you see u are still in the waiting list , we burst out into a cloud of laughter. Since he dislikes traveling like this and more of the reason that me being a unmarried girl traveling all alone, what I fail to understand is why is it ok if the girl is married well this is a topic which has no end. On the day of travel the PNR status was 20 I was now all set to travel come what may even if I have to stand and go that was my nerve to be at home for Diwali.

With the previous experience with traffic on Hosur road and the following day being a holiday I left for home early. I reached home in an hours time and left to station around 3 pm and crossing all the nuisance traffic it took 2 proper hours but still I was one hour ahead of time; the train was to depart at 5.55 hrs which I found it very bizarre what difference it makes by 5 minutes had the time being 6 pm but this is Indian railways and it makes sense probably since u have the feeling that train is around 5 instead of 6 this is for all those who understand mathematics as I do so that u reach on time!

As I got down from the auto rickshaw and paid the driver a dark skinny bonny man with his hair erect like he was out of an electric shock popping out from his white turban came running in a bright red shirt and multicolored floral Hawaii lungi half folded like super star Rajni needless to say he must have relocated from Tamil Nadu which I could read in no time. He said looking at my tensed faced Hyderabad kacheguda express, platform number two, 20 rupees for this bag, I did not argue much with him and agreed quietly which was not really me since had I not been pre occupied with the later days events I would have bugged him banged him for charging so high for a bag weighing not more than 20 kgs some gyan on that and would have at least bargained for 15 rupees. I usually hate taking any help in picking my own luggage but since I had loads of books stuffed I had to depend on this Rajni version and mean time wanted to save my energy to get a berth. Then I politely asked him to wait a moment to check my PNR number for the last time he looked at me as if I was traveling with out ticket then when I told him its AC III tier waitlist ticket he said you will not get it as if he was the one in charge of the reservation department my blood was boiling from inside and felt like thrashing him for all the crap he was talking. I just typed in my number after getting all that dirty stares void of smile on the faces from all the khans, chirus, nags, and some Vishnu’s of course, with some IT guys trying to show they travel by flights with the old flight tags hanging on to the luggage’s found my waitlist number advancing to 14, I was happy and Rajni immediately asked its same number I knew it , it will not change its holiday season many will be traveling this season to cut him short I told him its 14 and he need not give me gyan about this and gave him a dirty look to stop his blabber. Then near the AC three tier he dumped the bag down left running in the same speed as I had seen him near the station entrance. But then I turned a bit philosophical what ever he has been doing is finally for food and fortunate that I don’t have to do some thing like that god has been really merciful on me!

I was sitting near on a bench waiting for the train compartments to open. I did not get into the train to keep the track of the ticket status and ticket collector so that I can bribe him and get a seat reserved which I had never ever ventured before. There was a guard waiting near AC coach and trying to locate helpless people like us so that he to can make some quick bucks. Then I spotted another dark short boy with shining globe like nose and specs managing to hang on it who was talking to this guard, then there was another man and another one now I was a bit tensed since so many on waitlist where do I stand. Then I was also curious to know what there wait list number was and so must be others. Then there was another young guard must be new employee who was getting trained form this seasoned guard for the quick bucks. Best thing of this boy was he was very cheerful and was replying to everyone with a smile see smile counts even here since the senior guard lost lot of prospective customers in the bargain and this young boy took off and assured that if there is any chance for you guys its only after 10.30 in the night when the train reaches Dharmavaram and every one was paying attention as if its some predictions and nodding like holy cows and pacifying one another saying how they landed with wait list numbers. But the funniest was of this dark short boy I checked with him he said his PNR number is 2 and I was sure that he would get a berth he said his number has not changed ever since he has booked. I smiled and rather felt a bit strange since his waitlist number did not alter and so he was not sure and my number kept on changing though it never reached single digit I was so optimistic.

Mean time I tried to get into the compartment and to my comfort I found a girl must be from another IT jumbo smiling shying and chewing way the mobile phone which made all the more difficult to understand what crap she was giggling about . But then I could manage to get her attention by gapping at her and quickly told her my waitlist story and managed to slip in my bag under her seat and got a seat beside her that was really very sweet of this IBM girl. Then suddenly a bubbly chirpy girl popped in to see off this girl she probably was not really interested in talking to her she excused and continued chewing
her mobile. Then the chirpy one after 5 minutes got annoyed she said ‘ you can always talk to him later I have come to see you and you are busy talking to some one else.’
Then she said sorry and they started chatting which was quite interesting probably they to were new to Bangalore and the hi fy girls around and were talking about how the girls booze and smoke here. The chirpy one narrated how she saved herself from spirits offered in a birthday party of one of the boozer girls that she had attended.

We all had a hearty laugh and suddenly another incident happened there was something moving pitch black rubbing against my legs and then another huge sniff dog followed by equally nourished security guards thumping like globes and my self and the chirpy girl shrieked our lungs out probably she was equally scared and allergic to dogs as I am but this lead to another cloud of laughter.

Mean time another drolly polly girl rushed into the compartment as if she has been pushed out of a running bus directly into the train and soon started searching for her seat and was all exhausted. She soon settled and started chewing her mobile as any typical girl would do these days. Later in a mix of Marathi Telugu and Hindi she told her father probably how she faced the traffic and reached bang on time and boarded the train. I felt for a moment why the hell girls need to describe every step they perform in detail to all those who are around them, well has that not been so I would not have narrated my waiting list travel!!


Well then there were people settling in, one guy came in and sat beside this girl who had a confirmed ticket. He sat as if he too had confirmed ticket and I asked him if its ok if I can sit till I get a seat . He said its perfect no problem, later I realized he too was on wait list. I thanked my stars saying everyone has been so nice and hope I come across a good TT as well. Then I just gazed out from the murky glass door and found a bunch of guys and gals holding tickets with colorful T-shirts labeled Oracle, IBM, Intel, Accenture, Infosys and Wipro as if they were marketing for there respective companies. But that’s another way of showing where u work fortunate enough they spared to wear the I cards!!

I got tensed and just went out to know the crux of the situation and they greeted wow you too on a waiting list as if we were given reservation in AC I class and I was surprised that these folks were not really worried about berths and infact each one by then had decided to share berth and they infact told me ‘look there is one more girl waiting at the other end of the compartment, its difficult to get a berth today so try twin sharing.’ I really felt so much like home and the oneness exhibited by this bunch of guys. One of the couple who had managed to get one berth. Infact asked if I don’t get a berth I can share their seat probably since the guy was working in Infosys and were more contented to know that I too work in Infosys. This guys wife asked me if I would like to have dinner and I was surprised to see how people become so friendly when all are in the same kind of crisis of course this was not disastrous one.

Then everyone started discussing about how to bribe the TC, and I could hear to some very crap ideas evolving out of the techy heads. One guy said don’t allow any new passenger to board and say that the board is wrongly hooked this train goes to Ernakulum!! Then there was this DJ look alike guy who probably was more influenced by Bhojpuri movies proclaimed that just ‘dump the luggage of those boarding the trains hence forth!’ another guy said ‘lets sponsor TC dinner!’ I figured out a berth in side the cupboard behind the exit door. Which I never new before and showed to the rest who were equally surprised. Then the guard giggled at us and said I can lend my berth but u should pay me with out informing to TC and every one was amused.

Gradually everyone started looking for place to sit as everybody’s energy levels started dropping and I found the Anil Kapoor look alike pantry chap who still has not come out of the Ram Lakhan movie effect started singing, Vegetable rice, puri, full meal and of course the chicken Biryani with out which the trains running to Hyderabad never move. He never got distracted despite the countless times people asked about menu for dinner he had a patient reply to all the passengers and noted the seat numbers as per the orders. I usually carry some fruits and biscuits for the train but that day unfortunately I forgot buying and was really hungry. I asked him for a veg biryani when I got my turn but if things turn fortunate nothing is in place I swear, and he said ‘sarry amma veg biryani over, only meals or puri “ I had tasted this nasty railway meal and puri was never on my menu card so I told him if I can get a Veg biryani its fine. Then there were some more guys my waiting list friends who demanded that they want vegetable biryani. One guy got out and spoke my thoughts he said “ this is ridiculous there is no berth and now no biryani, screw the TC everyone burst out laughing. Poor Anil Kapoor was trapped and they warned him to come back with 8 packs of Vegetable biryani else leave the compartment. Poor guy he did not wanted any brawl in the train so he pleasingly obliged and took to his feet.

Now the real hero enters the compartment for whom we were waiting since a long time,
The Rajni and Raj Kumar mix since he donned his hairstyle like Rajni though with a receding hair line, which he must have taken a decent time to set it like multiple antennae with parachute oil for sure. His moustache resembling that of old time Rajkumar, which was carefully dyed black and trimmed like 1960s film actress’s eye brow. What more he had colorful clothes skyblue T-shirt, Pink shirt and a black Coat and an ill fitting burgundy trouser. No wonder I was thoroughly convinced that film stars really lived in everyone’s style statement. Over all he was influenced and adoptable to all film stars and strongly made a statement that pink is inn on his chocolate brown skin. Slender frame and a long face and sharp tiny eyes added to the over all unpleasantness possible to his guise. He sounded like one of the sharks in Jaws movies as his mouth opened wide and needless to describe further. Equally disgusting was his voice like he had swallowed a kilo of tobacco in his mouth.

It might be too much of a description of this very ordinary looking guy to be precise. However the arrogance exhibited by him had made me describe in so much detail to get the exact feel of the situation. Further the moment he was spotted they circled him as if taking autograph of a film star. He just shrieked out I have no vacant berths please go to sleeper class you might find some. I have to allocate the berths to RAC first. Mean time two smart guys managed to bribe this get one berth each to share with their darling wives and we all were left in disgust.

But then I told my friends that we need not be so lost its just 9.30 and this TT : Pinky as I christened him would get down and Hyderabad TT would come in we would find something. Every one burst into laughter and started describing Pinky. Mean time the Biryani did not come in so everyone manged with the chewing gum like roti, rice and dal and I kept my self hungry just gulping in some chilled water to keep my cool.

Then each one started telling about there job, work and IT stories however I was more keenly waiting for the new TT at Dharmavaram.When this man entered all the guards joined as if it’s a swearing in ceremony and checked how many of us needed berths and looked pretty organised way of giving and bribing. Then he said how many ladies? very considerate I must say , then he gave us a one lower berth as me and the other girl thanked him and came to the berth the guard came in and said amma 100 rupees then I was a bit surprised by then it was 11.15 in the night and I asked him for what? He giggled scratched his head , biting his tongue between his teeth a typical way a telegana guy would do and said Saab bola 100 /per berth ! The Wipro girl and I looked at each other and said ok and gave him the amount with out much discussion but the I was feeling bad that I had to bribe, then also was convinced that I bribed only for fifty bugs and there were guys who gave rupees 500 some time back.

Oh finally I hit the berth at 11.30 and were managing to sleep thank fully the Wipro girl was short and thin so we both could manage. But soon to my disgust there was a old lady
Who got into the train around 2.30 with huge baskets and woke me up asking for time and told me to wake her up 10 min before the Kacheguda station, I was annoyed to the core but had to keep my cool since she was pretty old and might be first time traveling alone. Then with my half asleep mind I was thinking what was she going to do ten minutes before the station, and looked at her she had started snoring happily and me and the Wipro girl were enjoying the melody and giggling.

Then I saw there were three big cloth bags which resemble the textile merchandizing and then three colorful plastic wire baskets and to our muse these bags were filled with lots of toffees, sugar candies, chikki, lolly pops in florescent colors. That was a real treat to eyes and I was fully awake by then. Suddenly I pulled the curtain and saw the train had reached the outskirts of the city and were reaching Malakpet. Then I gently woke her up, she just got out did not give a second thought asked one of our wait list friends to help her pull the luggage and then she just got down at Malakpet. I was watching her from the window I told my friend that she has to get down at kacheguda and ask her to board the train. Then by the time he rushed smart old lady got into the moving train and asked this boy to bring her luggage god it was so hilarious poor chap had to do all the labour and then boarded the running train. We all had a hearty laugh for the last time till we probably get to meet up again and said good bye and landed at the station of course the first to get down was the macho old lady, so excited to see her grand children and son waiting for her at the station. Not to forget she must have thought I was the one who made her get down at the Malakpet station which she was reciting to her son but I could not stop smiling at her exhilaration.

While I had completely different picture of this journey me sitting lonely near the door with of course the news paper which I would have begged from the guard since I was for sure not carrying it and people would be watching me like a moron thinking “useless lady why the hell they need to travel with waitlist! However I was glad that I had really had a memorable trip and was back home safely! The train journey was never so exciting and fun though with a WL ticket three cheers to the die hard young Indian spirit !!!

Comments

Sandeep said…
Hey Suguna

This was really a very good one, on the lines of R K Narayan (shall we say!!) The porter and the TC episodes are really too good !

Popular Posts