Amchi Mumbai

On July 10th 2006, I woke up and as is my habit immediately went to brush my teeth and soon after switched on the television. As the only channel which I can understand the language is CNN, that’s the natural choice . For many days together the channel remains unchanged. Suddenly, one news item, which attracted my attention was ‘the osama bin Laden of Russia killed’. I immediately realised that may be it is about Shamil Basayev. I decided to sit up and watch the complete the news coverage. I was happy(rather extremely happy that the world has suddenly become rid of the most heinous of monsters. Remember the ruthless killing of kids in Beslan in 2004. The images are still fresh in my mind. This was one of the very few occasions when a news item had wet my eyes. Yes I remember we all prayed for the souls of the little ones then. And now the god in his judgement has given an equally ruthless end to the monster of a man.

Next day in my office, I just happened to open a news site and there was flash news ‘Series of blasts rock Mumbai railway stations, 40 killed’. My immediate reflex was to check out the details, as much as were available, and inform my other colleagues here in Frankfurt about the news. After all many of us have friends and relatives in Mumbai. After going back home, naturally it was CNN bringing the news about the blasts, as good as they can get. Of course the CNN IBN (Indian counter part of CNN) was covering this news for CNN Europe. The CNN reporters were more concerned about being more politically correct about the news, and trying to imitate their western counter parts. So much so that in trying to be politically correct one reporter was informing the international audience that these blasts and the ones which happened earlier were a result of gang wars of the Mumbai underworld and sometimes as revenge of a particular community against oppression!!!!! More pathetic was the Indian politician. Today (13.07.2006) news paper reported that Uttar Pradesh PWD minister (Brother of CM Mulayam Singh) has given a clean chit to SIMI for its involvement in the blasts. He has arrived to the conclusion even before the investigation has started.

Coming back to Shamil Basayev, Russia has never forgiven the monster and hunted him down. None of the politicians in Russia have even tacitly condoned the Beslan. In contrast, in India some politicians want to reap political mileage out of the blasts.

On the brighter side all news papers of India and also international ones have reported the resilience of the mumbaikars and how the Sensex has reacted immediately next day after the blasts.Hats off to the Mumbaikars and the investor sentiment in India.

Anyway, last time after reading one of my write-ups some body has suggested me, ‘Just chill’ and everything will be alright. So this time I have decided to be a bit poetic. But Iam no poet, so why not borrow from an all time great poet Mirza Ghalib.

fikr-e-duniyaa mein sar khapaata hoon
main kahaan aur ye wabaal kahaan?
Ghalib-e-Khasta ke bagair kaun se kaam band hain?
roiye zaar-zaar kya, keejiye haay-haay kyon?
-Sandeep Kulkarni

Comments

Popular Posts